Total Pageviews

Monday, June 18, 2012

Assignment #3: Storybird Project

It was a challenge to write a math story that would teach and entertain, espencially with a limited number of illustrations to pick from.  The result for me is a humorous short story about a menacing cat names Milo, who needs to solve a long numerical expression in order to take over the world.  To do this he visits 3 "friends"  who teach him to crack the code with PEMDAS as their guide.  Hopefully this will be a fun ways to reinforce order of operations with my students.  Feel free to use it if you like! Order of Operations in the Real World at Work! or...Milo's Plot to Take Over the World! on Storybird

10 comments:

  1. That is informative AND adorable! I know that some 2.0 tools will be harder to adapt than others depending on your subject area, but this turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You did a fantastic job! I loved it! I think that format worked way better than the pop up book, but you are just plain better at telling a story! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your story and so will your students! My favorite character was Murray, the diabolical bone thief. You added some great vocabulary. I also used Storybird and I agree with her comment on the limited illustration options, but you came up with a great theme for your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Means a lot from an ELA person! :) I did find a few more typos that I must fix!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the end to your story! Milo did a lot of work - I'm sure he was exhausted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The site seems to have made it private because it was school related... They suggested putting it into a class instead. I changed it to public again, but Jenna do you know a way around this? For school you would just create a class then? Would this allow other teachers to see it not on your class list?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie, your story is still private. I'm super excited to read it! Is there a way to make it stick to public on your blog? Interesting glitches to work through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The storybird website says that it automatically sets stories to private, then you can change it to public. Since you did that (and we've seen the story, it was awesome!), I'm not sure why storybird would have changed it. I guess I'd recommend emailing the site itself to see why they made the change. I'm not finding anything useful to suggest. :/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that I was now able to make it public so that it will stay public! So those of you waiting eagerly on the edge of your seats to read this, wait no longer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't worry though math team, I won't quit my day job :)

    ReplyDelete